Sunday, February 1, 2009

You better watch out, I might run you over.

Ok I thought to my self, don’t tell me you’ve never seen a girl with a carhartt coat, barn boots, and able to drive a skid steer. Come on I live country, where girls learn how use the jumper cables at 13, check the oil on the car and if they live on a farm have driven more miles on the tractor then the car. Yeah and so what, if its kinda odd, you just learn how to do those things. Well these guys just kinda stared wide eyed at me. Whatever, I ignored them. They where wanting to buy a car off my Dad, but since he is in South Carolina at the moment, My mom and I had to take care of it our selves. The problem was I was to plow the snow in front to of the shop and my dad had some pallets of bee equipment in front of the car as well. I had to move all that before they could drive the car out. I growled under my breath why hadn’t Dad taken care of this earlier and why hadn’t they come a week ago when my dad had been here. Oh well at least I knew what I was doing. My dad had taught me how to run the skid steer when I was about 14. I am not as good as he is but can pretty much get done what needs to be with the skid steer.
I started on plowing the snow, and the guys just kinda hung around drinking some coffee and smoking, the one guy who didn’t seem to have to much in his head, stood right where I needed to plow. I tried to get his attention, but he couldn’t hear me with the machine going. I finally waved to his buddy and point for him to get his friend out of the way. Afterwards I wish I had just started plowing in his direct to see how long it would take for him to get out of my way.
After switching to the forks on the skid-steer I started taking the bee equipment out. At this, the guys seem to be a bit irritated that a girl could pretty much handle the thing. They started over exaggerated their directions that I could plainly see for my-self and they just ended up getting in my way.
Ok, is there a problem I thought? With a girl being able to handle a job that usually took a guy to do? I might be only 5’2 but that still doesn’t’ mean I can’t do a job. Guys seem think they can’t give a girl credit when she can accomplish something. No, they must always prove their Mr. macho-man who knows how to do every thing. However I find that Mr. macho- man rarely ever has any (I’ll put it in a nice way) Common sense.

Lol I am not classifying every guy in this category, but if I catch you standing in front of my skid steer, you better watch out.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I can identify... to the point that, after reading your blog, I went and wrote my own.

Teddy said...

Sounds like you might of had alittle case of off-road rage. lol That one would make the news!