Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Elisha's Bones

Recently in my devotions I was reading about the story of Elisha, well actually about his death. What I read was so incredibly inspiring. Its only a few verses, but a neat story in its own. These are a few of the thoughts I had on it.

II Kings 13
20. Then Elisha died and was buried. Every Spring, bands of Moabites would invade Israel. 21 One time they came when the Israelites were in the midst of a funeral. The people saw the Moabites coming and quickly threw the body into Elisha's tomb and ran. As soon as the body touched the bones of Elisha, the man came back to life stood up and walked out!

Wow God, You can work in some strange was to us. So what happened to this guy? Did he testify? Did God continue to have plans for his life? I sure hope the Moabites didn't kill him and he died again. He must have lived to have the story to tell. I guess I'll just have to ask when I get to heaven.

Then there is Elisha's Bones. The man who asked a double portion of the Holy Spirit to be upon him. It was so powerful that the Spirit was still with him in death. wow! God does not forget His loyal servants even in death.
But then I had to ask, how much am I willing to follow God to pray and ask for what Elisha had?
II Kings 2:9
...So he said to Elisha " What would you like me to do for you, before I leave?" Elisha answered "I pray that I'll receive a double portion of the Holy Spirit the Lord has given you."

2 comments:

Andrew Whtilow said...

So was the funeral party running away more scared of the Moabite invaders or from the guy they just through in Elisha's tomb that had come back to life? What was the guy thinking when he came back to life and saw his friends running away? Did he chase after his friends or see the invaders and think it's safer back in the tomb? Such an interesting story!

Katalin said...

I wonder what the Moabites thought if they saw the guy come hopping out of a tumb. Lol maybe that scared them off.