Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Grampie

Gathering in the small room around Grampie’s bed my family and I sang Christmas carols to him. As we sang Silent Night I wondered at all the love in that tiny room and how blessed I was to enjoy and know my grandfather for nineteen years. As my mom and I held his hand memories flooded over me...

As a kid, the most exciting highlight of the summers was when Grampie and Grammie came to visit for a whole month! I remember waiting in anticipation for the day that they were to arrive. When that day came I would be watching out the window to see their truck and camper pull into the driveway. Racing outside I would dance with excitement as I waited my turn to give Grampie, Grammie and Aunt Tay the biggest hug I had.What fun and exciting summers those were when they came and spoiled my siblings and me, as grandparents always do.
so many memories I have of spending time with my Grampie. He taught me how to play catch, He always told me "keep your eye on the ball, you won't miss if you keep watching for it." then when we got too hot we would sit in the cool shade of our maple trees, drinking some lemonade. I loved to go fishing with him, he'd get out his fishing poles and that ever fascinating lure box. He'd then bait the hooks for me and tell me "keep an eye out for the bobber, when it starts to jump around start reeling in the line."
Sometimes when we went to Grammie and Grampie's house in North Carolina, I'd sit next to him on the couch, he'd be reading his book and I'd be reading mine.Or I'd watch him scraping his plate clean, and then smiling at Grammie saying, "Mmm, my favorite place to eat is Harriet's kitchen"
One time my cousins and I decided to go on an adventure down the hill from my grandparents house to the maintenance building, to see Grampie at work. However we forgot to tell our mom's we where going and upon arriving home we got in pretty big trouble. But the trip was well worth the punishment.
Tears spilled over as I realized my time was becoming short with my Grampie, I'll be missing you Grampie, I'll miss you saying "Hey Kate!" when I walk in the door, I'll miss you being so proud when I made straight A's for a semester. It was so much of an honor to know you were proud of me. I'll miss you for the big moments of my life someday having an RN cap, wearing a white dress or taking my own children fishing.
Grampie I love and miss you so much, but I am watching into the window of the skies for the Lord to return to wake you up and take us both home! Oh how I'll dance with joy to be able to once again give you the biggest hug I have!
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
Revelation 21:3,4

I can't wait for that day.

Kristin said...

Love you Katie. I'm praying for you.

Caitlin said...

Dear Katie, here is a hug for you
( )! :) It is so hard to see people we love growing old and hurting. But thank you for writing about it. It challenges me to spend more time appreciating and spending time with my dear ones while I can! Your Grampie sounds like a wonderful person!

Katalin said...

Thanks every one for their support and prayers! It means a lot to me!
He was great and I'll be so happy for we ALL will be in paradise!

Unknown said...

Oh, how I love grandparents! *hugs*