Thursday, January 14, 2010

Theraputic Communication, My Fellow Nurses.

As I sat in a 5 hr. class today about the topic of therapeutic communication(Starting to wish I never heard those two words) I have less understanding and reasoning of it then I did before! (part may be due to my teacher) So I have decide to ask you my friends who are Nurses: and those of you who wish to put an input and are not nurses that's fine too. But I just want to know what your thoughts are on it. For I feel naive to this content. Some how I am torn between "the theory" of how to communicate therapeutically and the real life with my own experience. However most importantly I wish to know How a Christian nurse should use therapeutic communication.

So as a nurse...our role is to help our patients get better...this includes finding out whats wrong, working out a plan, implementing, and evaluating! Nurses are working for the client not them-selves, and So we listen to our patients this is the rules of nursing. Abide by them and your a good nurse...I understand this, I realize the reasoning and agree with them....except for therapeutic communication...

We are taught to say, "How are you feeling today?" "What makes you feel that way?"..."Go on tell me more"....I agree my job is to listen, not to say "I know how you feel." But I asked my teacher then...what about giving a story? What about being real and sharing how there is hope and strength to be found to keep going. Can it not be an encouragement to others to share a sincere story? For me personally I find an inspiration in testimonies shared to inspire and encourage us on life's path!
No! we as RNs are never allowed to share that! No the NCLEX, the Hospital, the Doctor,the Psychiatrist, the Teacher they tell us NO!

Nurses are told to let the patient answer their own Questions, let them think about it. Sure I agree, but how can they find the answer when they are continually on a cycle of un-advised. How would I find the answers as a child if I had not had the guidance of my parents. Are they to be continually uneducated? Is advice so far out there that we can not give it?

When it comes to the place where words can be given to encourage and uplift. Can they not be used to therapeutically help our patients heal? What did our greatest Healer of all use?
Matt.5:2-12 "And He opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."


...is it so wrong to share Faith, Hope and Love?

I may be just a freshmen nursing student with little experience, but I am a Christian Freshmen Nursing Student.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

Dear Katie :)
I remember feeling a similar frustration in that class that discuss these issues - which for me was mental health class. Although here at Southern my teachers and clinical instructors did their best to put things in a Christian perspective - which I deeply value. Even still, many of the theories in this arena leave many questions unanswered.

My personal experience and conclusion is the following:
Sharing your faith is professionally appropriate in 2 instances; 1) when people are obviously open to it. For this to happen there must be a foundation of trust and respect for them to be open. Therapeutic Communication is simply one skill you may use to build this foundation. 2) When the Holy Spirit prompts you. You will know when He nudges your shoulder and the timing is right.

As a nurse you will care for people of many cultures and it is important to be culturally sensitive to their traditions and beliefs. But simple kindness, gentleness, consistency in the ethic of your care will speak clearly even during times when you do not feel at liberty to share.

During my clinical rotations I always prayed with as many patients were interested in prayer, have had bible studies with a few, and often I would sing to them if they wanted me to. When patients were open to these things I have only ever found it to be an incredible spiritual blessing for them as well as for me.

Also, there is plenty of strong scientific research on the importance of spiritual care and the effects of prayer in the healing process. And of course there is much to be said in the Ministry of Healing about incredible position that medical professionals have in being able to direct their patients hearts to spiritual healing as well as physical healing.

If you are sincere and genuine it will show, you will not only be professional but human. Your patients (and friends and family) will love you for it and will open their hearts in trust to you.
You are going to be a great nurse! Thanks for letting God shine through your life

Caitlin said...

I also posted my response on the following blog - that is a shared blog by several of my friends. It is a fun place to address nursing issues, frustrations, funny incidents and inspiring stories. You might enjoy it too :) check it out at;

http://dvtprophylaxis.blogspot.com/

Katalin said...

Thank you Caitlin,
I believe like you say speaking to a patient about Christ should always be prompted by the Holy Spirit.
thanks for your advice...lol and your right I am in mental health rotation.