Monday, April 5, 2010

Paid in Full

Blue lights flashed in my rear-view mirror..."oh great, here it comes" I thought, as I had a feeling of dread come over me. This is not my day and not my moment.
Coming back to camp from visiting a church I had been lost in thought and simply fallowing the cars in front of me. I had not really been paying attention to my speed. Humiliated and embarrassed to have friends in the car as well. I felt like a kid getting scolded when the officer asked me "do you know why I pulled you over?" "I was going to fast wasn't I?" I answered back, trying not to sound flustered and annoyed.
He took my license and registration like they always do and then came back with a white paper. "slow down okay, and if you ask for to be reduced points I may consider it," he told me.
"Ok" I said. I drove off driving like an old granny going a respectable speed under the speed limit this time.
So I did ask for a reduced point violation and received a note saying accepted request, due fine payment of $150. well I wasn't excited about paying the $150 but I wasn't going to complain cause he had reduced my speeding points to a no point parking ticket. Paying the fine I didn't think much more of it, and just pondered why they never gave me a receipt but figured they hadn't come looking for me or the money so why bother.
Then I was going through the mail this week I found a letter from the Saranac village court. Opening it, was a note saying, your account was already paid in full. we are returning your money order of $150.
Paid in full? How? by whom? and Why? I am still puzzled and pondering who would know about my fine and why they would pay it. Or was it simply a mistake? do you think God has checks of his own? If the state wasn't intended to get the $150, than whom is? I do not deserve it, I broke the law. I didn't not expect anyone to pay for my punishment. Yet with the money I am now entrusted with, what purpose should it be used for?
The fact that I opened this piece of mail on Easter remind me of a greater payment that I owe. Do I fully realize the fine I must pay? do I realize the consequence of my actions when I commit a sin, "daily?" why do I take it lightly? I know I didn't take my state fine lightly, but it seems to me the fine of death is a lot bigger than a $150.
However when I realize deep my debt is the greater love, praise and rejoicing I have for my Christ, who died to pay, my fine of death.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! awesome!

Teddy said...

So can you afford another ticket now? ;) Nah, lol this was really cool!